jueves, mayo 04, 2006

NOBODY'S FAULT BUT OURS


Source: The San Juan Star / page 50 / Wednesday, May 3, 2006

I hear that of 95,000 souls just cast asunder by the commonwealth government, 75,000 are Education Department employees. And that it's being said this mess is going to last months rather than days. People who know me have always wondered why I have such a low opinion of Puerto Rican politicians. I won't list the adjectives that I employ to describe them because if I do The STAR won't publish my letter. But now it seems that, as much as I've badmouthed them through the years, they're much worse than I thought. In particular, I find apalling their refusal to lift a pinkie to prevent the spread of AIDS here, to perhaps have saved most of 25,000 Puerto Ricans who've perished so far. Also I can't figure why the Puerto Rican electorate continues to vote with flag-waving enthusiasm for the same grinning scoundrels. I mean, there's a third party that hasn't had a chance, and there are, and could be more, independent candidacies, and nobody's stopping us from getting together a fourth party. Yes, people get the governments they deserve. And our indolence earns us their banditry.

(Joaquín Serrano, Condado)


Google Groups Suscribirse a perspectivaestadista
Correo electrónico:
Ver archivos en groups.google.com.pr